Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Farmed Here



The farmer in the dell
heigh-ho, the derry-oh!
The farmer in the dell


Farming has been an important part of my journey as a chef. After completing my studies at The Natural Epicurean I interned at Green Gate Farms in Austin, TX. I picked tomatoes for hours, meticulously harvested green beans, carefully trimmed herbs, fed the pigs, pulled weeds for days and more. I would often go home with scrapes, bites, bumps and bruises.


My experience on that farm made me eternally grateful for all of the farmers out there, especially the organic farmers. It is back breaking work that requires tough character. I think that I know why most farmers put in all of that hard work though. For the love of food! There is a lot of satisfaction in knowing that your work translates into people eating and enjoying better health.

FarmedHere is a Chicago-based company that we were thrilled to stumble upon one day at our local grocery store. During the winter, fresh herbs and lettuces still find their way into our menus, thanks to them. Chef Darrin and I always aim to serve seasonal and local foods. This company has the values and practices that we admire.


  • FarmedHere is an indoor farm that relies on vertical growing technology. They use hydroponics which maximizes yield and conserves energy and real estate
  • They have a sustainable local distribution model
  • Instead of using more energy to build buildings for the farms, they are conserving by reviving postindustrial buildings
  • They boost local employment via direct employees, suppliers and partners
  • And, of course, best of all, the product is excellent!




Their basil and arugula show up in our hors d'oeurves menu frequently. We are always looking out for companies like this so that we can keep our menus fresh in spite of the freezing temps that are blasting our way. Let the freshness in and enjoy!

For the love of food, Jeanine

No comments:

Post a Comment